Authors

Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries Management University of Agriculture, PMB2240, Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria

Abstract

This study was undertaken to investigate the effect of socioeconomic factors on fish catch around the Lower Ogun River in Isheri-Olofin area (downstream) and Ishasi (upstream). Two hundred and fifty (250) respondents were randomly sampled. The data was analyzed using descriptive statistics and chisquare. It was found that a large percentage (74.4%) owned personal fishing craft.18% of the respondents have not had any formal education, 38.4% had attended primary school, 42.4% had attended secondary school, and 1.2% had attended a tertiary institution. Majority (62%) of the respondents were married while 31.2 % were single. The result shows that 98.4% of the respondents constitutes male while the remaining 1.6% constitutes female.70.4 % of the respondents fall within the age bracket of 15–40 years while the remaining 29.6 % are elderly with age range of 41-66 years. It was also discovered that there is a significance decline in the abundance of catch in the downstream compared to the upstream. There is significant difference between the two stations in all socioeconomic factors evaluated.

Keywords