Document Type : Original Article
Graduate Student of Department of Agricultural Extension and Education, Garmsar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Garmsar, Iran
Department of Agricultural Extension and Education, Garmsar Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Agricultural Development & Management, Faculty of Agricultural Economics & Development, College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran
The extent of utilization of drought management practices by the farmers of Tafresh County was studied in a descriptive-correlational research. Statistical population consisted of all farmers in Tafresh County which summed up to around 9061 people out of which 300 farmers were taken as the sample in accordance with Cochran’s formula. The main tool of the study was a questionnaire. The validity of the questionnaire was confirmed by a panel of expert consisting of some faculty members of Islamic Azad University, GarmsarBranch and the University of Tehran, and the reliability of the questionnaire was estimated as to be 0.848 using Cronbach Alpha. The results of correlation test indicated a direct, significant relationship between the extent of utilization of drought management practices and the variables of agricultural activities experience and the level of farmers’ social capabilities at 0.01 level. Moreover, there was a negative significant relationship among age, farming experience and the application of drought management practices at 0.01 level. Finally, the results of multiple regression analysis showed that three variables, i.e. extent of farmers’ social capabilities, experience of agricultural activities and the age of the farmers, had the greatest influence on the extent of utilization of drought management practices.
- Beik mohammadi, H., Noori, H. A., & Bazrafshan, J. (2005). Effects of drought in 1998-2009 on the rural economy of Sistan and solutions to comfort it. Journal of Geography and Improvement, 3(5), 53-72 (In Persian).
- Brown, C., & Hansen, J.W. (2008). Agricultural water management and climate risk. International Research for Climate and Society, April 2008, 1-14.
- Darijani, A., Shah Hosein Dastjerdi, S., & Shahnooshi, N. (2011). Determination of priority of drought risk management in agricultural part of Gonbad e Kavoos county with using hierarchical techniques, Journal of Agricultural Economic, 2(3), 37-59(In Persian).
- David, Rain. (2011). Accra Ghana: A city vulnerable to and drought – induced migration. Retrieved from: http://www.unhabitat.org/grhs/2011.
- Fatehimaraj, A. (2011). Monitoring drought indexes. Paper Presented at the National Conference drought and change of climate in Iran, Esfehan: lack of water and drought in agriculture and natural sources research center, May 28, (In Persian).
- Folkman, S. (1984). Personal control and coping processes: Theoretical analysis, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 46(4), 839-852.
- Gardovani, SH., & Alibeigi, A.H. (2011). Determinant identification of agriculture risk management; case study farmers of Kermanshah County. Journal of Economy and Development of Iran agriculture, 2(42), 255-264(In Persian).
- Haddadi, S. (2002). Analysis of effective policy of agriculture/extension in reducing economic-social drought outcomes in Khodabandeh County from the perspective of managers and experts.Unpublished thesis in Agricultural Extension and education, Faculty of agriculture, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch (In Persian).
- Hejazizadeh, Z., & Joyzedeh, S. (2010). Introduction to drought and its indexes. Publication: Tehran: study and codification of Liberal arts books Organization University (semat), Liberal arts Research and Development (In Persian).
- Karpisheh, L. (2011). Planning on drought management extension pattern based on combining local and new knowledge (case study Fars state) Unpublished thesis in Agricultural Extension and education, Faculty of agriculture, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch (In Persian).
- Khabazzadeh, N. (2009). Analysis of drought management system of Khoozestan state. Unpublished thesis in Agricultural Extension and education, Faculty of agriculture, Tarbiat Modares University (In Persian).
- Rockström, J. (2003). Resilience building and water demand management for drought mitigation. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C, 28(20), 869. Retrieved from www.sciencedirectcom
- Panahi, F., & Kheiri, SH. (2009). Recovery of agricultural water resources management with total solution for confronting drought. Paper Presented at the Second National conferences about drought effects and its management solution, Agricultural Research Center and Isfahan Natural Sources, May 30-31 (In Persian).
- Rantakar, R., & Govardahan Das, S. (2006). Participatory Anticipatory Irrigation Management in the APWELL Project: INDO-DUTCH TEAMWORK. The Journal of Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education: 22nd Annual conference Proceedings Clearwater Beach, Florida.
- Seyfolahi, M., & Shahabi, S. (2008). Economic, social and environmental damages of drought, challenges and solutions to reduce that. Collection of journals of drought conferences, challenges and solutions September 2008, Agricultural Research Center and Isfahan State Natural Sources, Total inspection and unexpected events office of Isfahan state (In Persian).
- Sharafi, L., & Zarafshani, K. (2010). Vulnerability measurement, solutions for drought management of wheat farmers case study: Sarpol zahab, west Islam Abad and Javanrood. The Journal of Geographical Study of Dry Region, 1(2), 106-120(In Persian).
- Shokri, M., Hoseini, M., & Moghadas Farimani, SH. (2007). Analysis of environmental, economic and social –psychological of drought and relation of some farmers traits and outcomes above in agriculture part in Sistan Va Baloochestan,The Proceeding of First Conferences Compatibility With Lack of Water (In Persian).
- Taghavinia, M. (2009). Survey on damages of drought and farmers capabilities solution to confront with that in Dezful County. Unpublished thesis in Agricultural Extension and education, Faculty of agriculture, Tehran university (In Persian).
- Tavakolipoor, R., & Ajili, A.A. (2009). Arrangements of extension in drought. Second National Conferences of drought effects and its management methods. Agricultural Research Center and Isfahan Natural Sources, May 30-31 (In Persian).