Document Type : Original Article
Assistant professor of Agricultural Extension and Education Department, Sari Branch, Islamic Azad University, Sari, Iran.
The present study investigated factors affecting risk management by women rice farmers in the township of Sari in Iran. The statistical population comprised 1677 women who cultivate rice in Sari; 248 women were selected for the study using stratified random sampling. The data was analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics with SPSSWin16 software. The Chronbach’s alpha was 0.84 and the ordinal theta was 0.89. It was found that the women rice farmers were more willing to consult with agricultural experts, were aware of appropriate planting and harvesting times and used collaborative rice farming, such as for planting, in their risk management. Risk management among women rice cultivators in Sari County was influenced by numerous factors. It was found that 29.3% of the variance in risk management by the women was determined by the extent of financial difficulty, their education levels and borrowing resources.
- Ahmadi, M. (1999). Investigating factors affecting farmers' membership in rural production cooperatives based on an innovation extension model. Unpublished thesis in Agricultural Extension and Education, Agriculture department, Tehran: Tarbiat Modarres University.
- Alibigi, A. M., Aliabadi, V., & Garavandi, S. H. (2012). The structural model of social capital component affecting villagers’ risk-taking, a case study on rapeseed farmers in Kangavar. Rural Development & Space Economics Journal, 1, 59-64.
- Alipour, H., & Abdolaheefar, P. (2011). Risks in agriculture, Scientific. Economic, Agriculture and Process Industry Journal, 20(237), 34-38.
- -Amini, R. (2011). Insurance and Risk Management role in Agricultural Economics. Agricultural Journal, 76, 21-25.
- Amini, A., Jamshidi, M., & Sadeghi, J. M. (2002). Risk related Factors and the herdsman' willingness to insure their cattle in East Azerbaijan Province. Agricultural Economics and Development periodical, 10(39), 125-140.
- Anderson, J. R. (2001). Risk management in rural development: A review. The World Bank. Washigton D.C.
- Anderson, K. B., & Mapp, H. P. (1996). Risk management programs in Extension. Journal of Resource Economics, 21(1), 31-38.
- Bader, T. M. (2009). Managing risk on the Gresham 80. Retrieved from https://www.ffa.org/documents/rme_essay_thomasbader.pdf
- Bahrami, A., & Agahi, H. (2005). Risk management in agricultural fields. Agricultural and Insurance Journal, 2(8), 97-113.
- Barimzadeh, V. (2005). Risk management in agriculture. Agricultural Education Publication, Tehran: Ministry of Agriculture.
- Cervantes-Godoy, D., Kimura, SH., & Anton, J. (2013). Smallholder risk management in developing countries. OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers, No. 61, OECD Publishing. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5k452k28wljl-en
- Deshmukh, A. K., & Khatri, D. (2012). Agriculture insurance in India-A paradigm shift in Indian agriculture. International Journal of Research in Economics & Social Sciences, 2(2), 138-139.
- Diouf, J., Nwanze, K. F., & Sheeran, J. (2012). The state of food insecurity in the world: How does international price volatility affect domestic economies and food security? Rome: FAO.
- Ertiaee, F., & Chizari, M. (2006). Investigating extension experts' knowledge on agricultural product insurance. Agricultural Insurance Periodical, 3(10), 54-79.
- Fraisse, C. W., Breuer, N. E., Zierden, D., Bellowc, J. G., Pazd, J., Cabrera, V. E., Garcia, A., Ingram, K. T., Hatch, U., Hoogenboomd, G., Jones, J. W. & Obrien, J. J. (2006). A climate forecast information system for agricultural risk management in the southeastern USA. Computers and Elctronics in Agriculture, 53, 13-27.
- Garavandi, SH., & Alibige, A. M. (2012). Identifying factors influencing the corn farmers’ behavior in Garmsar regarding the production risk. Economics Research and Agricultural Development Journal, 2-43(2), 293-300.
- Ghorbani, M. (2000). The insurance impact on wheat productivity in Mazandaran province using analysis model. Agricultural Economics and Development Journal, 20, 73-91.
- Ghorbani, M., & Jafari, F. (2009). Investigating influential factors on agricultural crops risk frequencies in North Khorasan Province. Agricultural Economics and Development Journal, 23(1), 41-48.
- Hardaker, J. B. (2006). Farm risk management: past, present and prospect. Journal of Farm Management, 12(10), 593-612.
- Hueth, D., & Forurtan, W. (1994). The economics of agricultural insurance: Theory and evidence. USA: Kluwer academic publishers.
- Jihad-e-Keshavarzi Management in Sari. (2012). Rice cultivating women in Sari classified by their relative agricultural service center. Tehran: Ministry of Agriculture.
- Kahan, D. (2008). Managing Risk in farming/ farm management extension guide. Rural Infrastructure and Agro- Industries Division Food and Agriculture organization of the united Nations Vialedelle Terme dicaracalla. Rome, Italy, (153), 38-75.
- Khuu, A., & Weber, E. J. (2012). How Ausralian farmers deal with risk? Australia: University of Western Australia.
- Moghadsi, R. (1997). Tendency toward risk-taking. Markazi Insurance Periodical, 1(1), 5-9.
- Olarinde, L. O., Manyong, V. M., & Akintola, J. O. (2007). Attitudes towards risk among maize farmers in the dry savanna zone of Nigeria: some prospective policies for improving food production. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 2(8), 399-408.
- Shrapnel, M., & Davie, J. (2000). The influence of personality in determining farmer responsiveness to risk. Paper Presented to the International Workshop on Farm Management Decision With Climate Risk. Toowoomba: Department of Primary Industries.
- Steven, W. M., Oscar, V., George, F. P., Keith, H. C., Thomas, O. K., & Alan, E. B. (2003). Extension educators΄ perceptions of risk management training needs. Journal of Extension, 41(4), 1-9.
- The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2009). Managing risk in agriculture: A holistic approach. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Retrieved from www.oecd.org/agriculture/policies/risk.
- Velandia, M., Rejetus, R. M. Knight, T. O., & Sherrick, B. J. (2009). Factors affecting farmer’s¢ utilization of agricultural risk management tools: The case of crop insurance, forward contracting, and spreading sales. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 41(1), 107-123.
- Kohansal, M. R., & Ghorbani, V. (2008). Evaluating influential factors on cotton insurance adoption: A case study in North Khorasan Province. Agriculture and Insurance Journal, 5(15 and 16), 23-46.
- Liu, B., L. I, M., Guo, Y., & Shan, K. (2010). Analysis of the demand for weather index agricultural insurance on household level in Anhui, China, Agriculture and Agricultural Science Procedia, 1, 179-186.
- Lu, W., Xi, A., & Ye, J. (2008). Disaster Risk reduction strategies and risk management practices: Critical Elements for adoption to climate change. Report,11 November 2008, Nairobi: UNFCCC.
- Marofi, P. & Hamidee, A. (2001). A Step towards Empowerment: A Guide to the use of micro-credit to start small income generating activities, Tehran: Ronas Publication.
- Mazaheri, D. (1998). Mixed agriculture. (2 ed.), Tehran:Tehran University publication.
- Meuwissen, M. (2000). Insurance as a risk management tools for European Agriculture. Unpublished thesis in Wangeningen University.
- Mirzad, N., Abedi Sarvestani, A. & Abdolahzadeh, GH. H. (2013). Agricultural product insurance a new Approach to Risk Management, Eighth Symposium on Advances in Science and Technology, Mashhad: Khavaran Higher education institute. Retrieved from http://8thsastech.khi.ac.ir.
- Monfared, N. (1995). Factors influencing the rice cultivating technologies adoption and their impact on rice producer women in Mazandaran province and Shiraz. Unpublished thesis in Agricultural Extension and Education, Agriculture department, Shiraz University.
- Movaahed, M. (2003). Women political participation and effective social factors on it (Case Study of Bandar Abbas). Women Study Magazine, 1 (3), 3-28.
- Rosta, K. (2009). Evaluating the factors affecting farmers' ability to manage risk (a case study on wheat growers in Khorasan-e-Razavi). Agricultural Economics and Extension Journal, 1(1), 1-16.
- Rostami, F. (2007). Wheat production risk management in farming systems (a case study in Harsin). Iranian Agricultural Sciences Journal, 37(2), 93-106.
- Sajadi, S. (2009). Assessing the rural production cooperatives changes in post-regulation period in Ghaenat, Unpublished thesis, Birjand: Islamic Azad University of Birjand.
- Shabazi, A. (2002). Educated villagers. Tehran: Cultural and Art Institute of Shaghaiegh Rusta Publishers, Inc.
- Shortreed, J., Hicks, J., & Craig, L. (2003). Basic frame work for risk management. The Ontario Ministry of the Environment/Network for Environmental Risk Assessment and Management (NERM), 7, 74.
- Tabatabaee, F., Pezeshgirad, G. H., & Chizari, M. (2013). Risk management adoption in industrial husbandry in Tehran province: Influential structures. Iranian Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development, 43(1), 135-142.
- Tiraee Yari. N. (2002). Factors affecting modern agricultural insurance models adoption applied by farmers in Khuzestan province. Unpubliahed thesis, Agriculture department, Tehran: Tarbiat Modarres University.
- Torkamani, J. (1998). Establishing risk aversion degree, technical efficiency and its influencing factors: A Case Study in Fars Province. Agricultural Economics and Development Journal, 24, 49-68.
- Torkamani, J., & Ezatabadi, M. (2001). The socio - economic factors impact on decision-making process associated with risk. Agricultural Economics and Development periodicals, 9 (33), 23-45.
- Yaghobi, A., Chizari, M., & Fele, S. (2007). Agricultural product Insurance: appropriate strategy in risk management. Sixth Conference on Agricultural Economics, Mashad: Ferdowsi University of Mashad. Retrieved from http://confbank.um.ac.ir/index.php?module=conf_display&file=user&req=conf_display_main_view_abs&id=1613&conf_id=14.
- Zamani, G. H., Karami, A., & Yazdanpanah, M. (2009). Factors influencing farmers' satisfaction of agricultural crop insurance policy. Agricultural Extension and Education Journal, 4(2), 53-66.