Document Type: Original Article
Assistant Professor, Department of Agricultural Management, Ilam Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ilam, Iran
MA Student, Department of Agricultural Extension and Education, Ilam Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ilam, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Agricultural Extension and Education, Ilam Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ilam, Iran
Rural tourism is a factor in multidirectional development of rural areas and its most important consequences are population stability, unemployment problem alleviation, and immigration reduction. The present survey was set to investigate the strategies of developing rural tourism in Mishkhas Village in Ilam Province using the SWOT technique. A questionnaire was used as the data gathering instrument and the sample size was determined to be 368 based on the Krejcie and Morgan table. The Cronbach alpha coefficient was used to show the reliability of research instrument which came out to be 0.87. In this research, the internal (strengths and weaknesses) and external factors (threats and opportunities) of the region were ranked by the SWOT technique. It was indicated that the amount of advantages with the obtained value of 5.87 (strengths and opportunities) was higher than limitations rate of weaknesses and threats (4.531). Thus, according to the results, the strategy of developing rural tourism was applied in this region.
• Fine weather has the highest final coefficient in strengths.
• Willingness to spend part time out of city has the highest final coefficient in opportunities.
• Villagers’ refusal to give their land to strangers has the highest final coefficient in threats.
• Development Strategies for Rural Tourism in Mishkhas are mostly aggressive.
- Ghafari, S. R., & Torki Harchegani, M. (2010). Role of tourism in the socioeconomic development of rural regions in Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari: the case of Saman. Rural Development Quarterly, 12(2), 113-126.
- Ghahramani, M. (2012). Development of sustainable rural tourism and position the texture of precious village (case study: Simin Shahr village’s separation in Hamadan). Geographical Journal of Tourism Space, 1(2), 65-8.
- Hanachi, P., & Kosheshgaran, A. A. (2013). Protection and development in contexts possessing rural values. House Foundation of Islamic Revolution Press, Iran:Tehran.
- Hosseinmohammadi, M., & Hayati, D. (2010). Developing rural tourism, a new approach in rural stable development. Paper presented at the 3rd Conference in Agricultural Environment Extension Education. March 1-2, Mashhad.
- Kargar, B. (2008). The Development of tourism and urbanization in Iran. Tehran: Geographic Organization of Armed Forces Press.
- Khodaverdizade. M., Hayati, B. A., & Kavousi Kalashemi, M. (2008). Value of Kandovan village with the use of contingent valuation method. Environmental Science, 5(4), 43-52.
- Kuo, N.W., & Chiu Y.T. (2006). The assessment of agritourism policy based on SEA combination with HIA. Land Use Policy, 23, 560-570.
- Mir Lotfi, M., & Sargolzaie, F. (2013). The effects of tourism on sustainable rural development (case study: Sekuhe Village in Zabol). Paper presented at the Fourth Student Academic Geography National Conference. February, 7. Tehran.
- Moradi, K. (2012). The role of the tourism potentials of Abdanan County in rural development. Johare Hayat Press, Iran:Tehran.
- Motiee Langroudi, H. (2006). Planning with emphasis on Iran. Pishgaman Press, Iran: Mashhad.
- Movahed, A., & Kohzadi, S. (2010) Analysis the effective factors on the tourism development in Kurdistan Province using SWOT model. Research and Urban Planning, 1(2), 85-102.
- Nouri, R. (2012). The village of Hyderabad with capacity of lies. Mehr press, Iran: Tehran.
- Saghaei, M., & Msoudi, M. B. (2014). Natural ecosystems and eco-tourism with emphasis on Iran. Mahkame Press, Iran: Mashhad.
- Sharifzadeh, A., & Moradnezhadi, H. (2003). Stable development and rural tourism. Jahad Magazine, 22, 249-248.
- Shojaee, A., & Rahimi Moghadam, J. (2013). The Economic role of rural tourism in sustainable development with the use of SWOT techniques (case study: Colm cillage in Ilam Province). Paper presented at the first National Conference on tourism and ecotourism of Iran. March 27, Hamadan.