Document Type : Original Article
Department of Agricultural Economics, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman
Among agricultural products in Iran, pistachio is one of the major export products that can produce foreign currency. The present study evaluated factors affecting pistachio export earnings instability and its effect on agricultural export during the studied period. For this purpose, export earnings instability index was calculated using "average absolute difference between export earnings and its trend". The Vector Error Correction Model (VECM) was used for estimating models over period 1973-2010. The results indicated that pistachio commodity concentration index had negative effect, but pistachio product instability and gaps of exchange rate had direct relationship with pistachio export earnings instability. Also, the results of the estimation of agricultural export function indicated that pistachio export earnings instability had negative and significant impact on export agriculture.
- The further instability of pistachio export earningsduring the war (1981-1988) compared to other period due to its critical situation.
- The negative effectof pistachio commodity concentration index on pistachio export earnings instability.
- The direct relationship of pistachio product instability and gaps of exchange rate with pistachio export earnings instability.
- The negative effect of pistachio export earnings instability on agricultural export.
- Amjadi, A., & Mohamadzadeh, R.(2010). Determining goal markets pistachio and dates export of Iran using the export demand pattern and the screening methods. Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development, 18 (70), 193-220.
- Amirteimuri, S. (2008). Examining the production, marketing and export of Iranian pistachio. Journal of Iran Pistachio, 2(5), 38-40.
- Bilquees, F., & Mukhtar, T. (2011). Export instability, income terms of trade instability and growth: The case of India. Romanian Economic Journal, 39, 25- 44.
- Borumand, S., Ziaiee Bigdeli, M., & Rezaei, E. (2009). Export instability, capital accumulation and economic growth: The case of Iran. Journal of Quantitative Economics, 6(2), 21-36.
- Coppock, J. D. (1962). International economic instability. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- Lam, N.V. (1980). Export instability, expansion and market concentration: A methodological interpretation. Journal of Development Economics, 7, 99–115.
- Lotfalipour, M., Dehghanian, S., & Azarinfar, Y. (2007). Analysis the relationship between productivity, production and agricultural export and the effect of its stability on agricultural sector growth. Journal of Agricultural Science and Industries, Specific of Agricultural Economic and Development, 74, 217-247.
- Ming Wong, C. (1986). Models of Export Instability and Empirical Tests for Less-developed Countries. Journal of Development Economics, 20(2), 263-285.
- Norouzi, A., & Ghamtiri, M. (1995). Export instability and its effects on macroeconomic variables of Iran. Unpublished Thesis. Shiraz University, Department of Economic.
- Samadi, A. (2002). Analysis the impact of exports and export earnings instability of various economic sectors on economic growth in these sectors (A case study of Iran (1968-1995). Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development, 10 (38), 113-127.
- Samadi, A. (2004). Trade instability (export and import) agricultural crops in the economy of Iran (1981-1999), Analysis of stability index Coppock.Journal of Economic Researches, 18, 141-155.
- Shahsavar, M., & Dehghan, F. (2009). Analysis the affecting factors on the instability exports (Case study: Fars and Azerbaijan Sharghi province). Journal of Researches and Economic Policy, 17(51), 105-124.
- Santos-Paulino, A.U. (2000). Trade liberalization and export performance in selected developing countries (No. 00, 12). Department of Economics Discussion Paper, University of Kent.
- Wasim, M.P. (2003). Export instability and concentration in the less developed Countries. Journal of Development Economics, 4, 279- 297.
- Wilson, P. (1994). Export earnings instability of Singapore, 1957-1988: A time series analysis. Journal of Asian Economics, 5(3), 399- 412.
- Yazdani, S., &Azizi, J. (2006). Studding of Iranian pistachio export: Challenges and approaches. Economic Research Journal, 21(2), 37-45.
- Zubeiri, H., & Elmi, Z. (2009). Analysis the effect of gaps of exchange rate on inflation of Iran. Journal of Human Sciences, Semnan University (Economic special), 29, 99-118.