Document Type: Original Article
Ph.D. Student of Agricultural Education, Tehran University, Karaj, Iran
Professor of Agricultural Extension and Education, Tehran University, Karaj, Iran
The main purpose of this study was to analyze the role of self-esteem dimensions on student’s achievement motivation. The statistical population consisted of MSc students in College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Tehran (N=712). According to Cochran formula, 175 students were selected through quota sampling method. The instrument for data collection was a questionnaire which its validity was confirmed by a panel of experts. Its reliability was confirmed by Cronbach's alpha coefficients (α ≥0.7). The results of descriptive statistics showed that the amount of achievement motivation, global self-esteem, family self-esteem and social self-esteem found to be at a moderate level, whereas their educational self-esteem was found to be at a low level. The results of ANOVA showed that there are significant differences among students based on their levels of self-esteem and achievement motivation. Students with higher levels of self-esteem had achievement motivation more than others. Moreover, the results of logistic regression demonstrated that different aspects of self-esteem (including global self-esteem, social self-esteem and educational self-esteem) has a great ability to predict levels of students’ development. These factors explained 69.10 percent of the total variance.
- Bakhshayesh, A. (2011). A survey of relationship between Trust on God, self-esteem & educational achievement in students. Journal of Psychology and Educational Sciences, 2, 79-89 (In Persian).
- Bakhtiarvand, F., Ahadian, S., Delrooze, F., & Hojjat, A. (2011). The moderation effect of achievement motivation on relationship of learning approaches academic achievement. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 28, 486-488.
- Befkham, M. (2008). A survey of relationship between emotional intelligence with achievement motivation & creativity among middle third year students of Dezfool city. Unpublished thesis, General psychology, Islamic Azad University of Ahvaz.
- Biabangard, E. (2005). Relationship between self-esteem, achievement motivation & achievement educational among high school third year students of Tehran. Psychological Studies, 4)5(, 131-144.
- Brooks, R. B. (2000). The self-esteem during the school years, its normal development and hazardous decline. Pediatric Clinics of North America, 39, 539-550.
- Byrne, Z. S., Hanson R. A. M., Cardadora, J. M., & Fox, S. (2004). Measaring achievement motivation: tests of equiralency for English, German, and Israeil versions of the achievement motivation inventory. Personality and Individual Differences, 37)1(, 203-217.
- Chen, L. A. (2007). Job satisfaction among Information System (IS) personnel. Computer in Human Behavior, 1, 105-118, retrieved from http://www. Sciencedirect.com
- E`tesamifard, M. (2010). A survey of relationship between mental health and self-steemesteem with teacher’s job satisfaction Fasa city middle and high school. Unpublished thesis, Psychology and Educational Sciences College, University of Tehran.
- Ebrahiminezhad, M., & Sallimian, M. (2007). A survey of relationship between self-steemesteem and personality achievement motivation. Journal of Landscape Management, 23, 31-52 (In Persian).
- Hermans, H. J. M. (1970). A questionnaire measure of achievement motivation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 54 (4), 353-363.
- Hosseininasab, D., & Vejdanparast, H. (2002). A survey of relationship between self-esteem with student’s educational achievement basic science & human sciences Tarbiat Moalem Centers. Journal of Literature & Human Sciences, 45, 101-126.
- Kafetsios, K., & Zampetakis, L. (2007). Emotional intelligence and job satisfaction: Testing the mediatory role of positive and negative affect at work. Personality and Individual Differences, 44(3), 710-720.
- Kamariah, A., Rohani, A., Tarmizia, R.M., Habibah, E., wong, S.L., Ahmad, F., & Mohd, A. (2010). Relationships between university student’s achievement motivation, attitude and academic performance in Malaysia. Procedia motivation, attitude and academic performance in Malaysia. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2 (2), 4906- 4910.
- Kayvanzadeh, M., Gholamali, H., & Lavasani, M. (2007). Examining the relationship between academic activity, achievement motivation, emotional intelligence and academic achievement of students. Journal of Psychology and Educational Sciences, 1, 99- 123.
- Kloosterman, P. (1988). Self confidence and motivation in mathematics. Journal of Education Psychology, 80(3), 51-341.
- Knight, J. (2004). Internationalizatoin remodeled: Definitions, approaches and rationales, Journal of Studies in International Education, (1), 5-31.
- Kukla, A. (1972). Attribution determinants of achievement-related behavior. Journal of Personality and Psychology, 21, 166-74.
- Kumboltz, Johno (2007). Measuring achievement motivation: A review. Journal of Consoling Psychology, 4(3), 191-198.
- Lewellen, T.C. (2002). The Anthropotogy of Globalization Cultural Anthopology Enters The 21st, Century. Westport. CT: Bergin & Garry.
- Martin, A. (2008). Enhancing Student motivation and engagement: the effects of a multidimensional intervention. Journal of Contemporary Educational Psychology, 33(2), 239-269.
- Mayer, B. W., Fraccastoro, K., & Mcnary, L. D. (2007). The relationship among organizational based self-esteem and various factors motivating volunteers, Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 36, 327-340.
- Mazinani, A. (2001). Investigating the situation of produce and use of scientific information from faculty members. Rahyaft, 25, 196-217 (In Persian).
- Naeimi, A. A. (2004). A survey of relationship between fear of success, Self-esteem & student’s achievement motivation, Sari Medicine College. Unpublished thesis, Clinical Psychology, Islamic Azad University, Sari.
- Pintrich, P., & Schunk, D. H. (2002). Motivation in education: theory research and Applications. NJ. Prentice-Hall. Inc.
- Seif, A. A. (2005). Psychology educational (psychology learning and teaching) (6th Ed). Tehran, Agah publication.
- Shahidi, M. (2009). A survey of relationship between self-steem & Level personality operation. Unpublished thesis, Executive management, Qom pardiss, Tehran University.
- Smith, C. (1986). Self-esteem inventory. Palo-Alto: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Todaro, M. (2003). Economics development in third world. Tehran: Koohsar (In Persian).
- Tohidi, M. (2002). Study attributional styles, Anxiety & achievement motivation with boy student’s public school educational achievement Tehran city. Unpublished thesis, Educational Psychology, Tarbiat moallem University.
- Tokinan, B., & Bilen, S. (2010). Self-esteem assessment form development study. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2, 4366- 4369.