Document Type: Original Article
Jahad e Agriculture Organization of Tehran Province
Armenian State University of Economics Research center - Director
This study determined the situation of rural tourism and agro-tourism in Tehran Province as well as the expected economic impacts of agro-tourism development on it. In this research, we used documental research method and field research based on questionnaires and face-to-face interview. It was found out that despite different tourist attractions in rural areas of Tehran province, tourist arrival to the rural areas was only due to natural attractions. Almost all counties have agricultural tourist attractions, but no comprehensive and coherent programs have been implemented for the development of agro-tourism in the region. It was revealed that one job can be created in exchange for the arrival of nearly 133 Agro-tourists, that tourists in their rural trips are more willing to buy agricultural products and homemade processed foods as compared to handicrafts and other goods, that in rural trips, Agro-tourists will spend more money for their purchases than other rural tourists, and that Agro-tourists earn much more benefit on their purchasing as compared to rural tourists. Based on the results, the most important expected economic impacts of Agro-tourism development in Tehran province include the increase in Agro-tourist arrivals to the rural regions, the increase in job creation, the improvement of rural economy and much more Agro-tourism revenue in rural areas as compared to other fields of rural tourism.
- This paper studied the situation of rural tourism and agro-tourism in Tehran Province
- The most important expected economic impacts of agro-tourism development in Tehran province include the increase in agro-tourist arrivals to the rural regions, job creation and the improvement of rural economy
- One job can be created in exchange for the arrival of nearly 133 agro-tourists in rural areas of Tehran Province
- Armaghan, S. (2008). The Abilities of Rural Tourism in Socio- Economic Development in Khorasan Province. Unpublished Thesis, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, 87-95.
- Bernardo,D., Valentin, L.,& Leatherman, J. (2004). If We Build It, Will They Come? Profit Conference, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS, August 15-16, 2004. Retrieved from www.agmanager.info/events/risk_profit/ 2004/Bernardo.pdf
- Ecotour, (2007). Agro-tourism Defenition. Retrieved from http://www.ecotourdirectory.com /agrotourism. htm
- Gannon, A. (1994). Rural tourism as a factor in rural community economic development for economies in transition. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 2(1-2), 51–60.
- Hall, C.M., Page,S.J. (2002). Managing Urban Tourism. Pearson Education’s online bookshop. available at Bookdepository.com. Publication date 06 Sep 2002;
- Irancities, (2015). Retrieved from http:// www.irancities. ir/showcity.aspx?code=258& code2 =16
- Iranpedia (2015). Retrieved from http://iranpedia. ir/Attraction
- Mehrnews, (2012, May 15) Retrieved fromhttp:// www.mehrnews.com/news/1600472
- OECD. (1994).Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/ investment/investmentpolicy/
- Rezvani, A. (1993). Geography and Tourism Industry. Payam Noor University publication, Tehran.
- Roostanet,(2015). Retrieved from http://roostanet. ir/index.aspx?siteid=3&fkeyid=siteid=3& pageid=2365
- Schilling, B. J., Sullivan, K. P., & Marxen, L. J. (2007). The economic impact of agritourism in New Jersey: a 2006 assessment (No. 151895). Rutgers University, Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics.
- United Nations. (2008). International Recommendation for Tourism Statistics. 27-29.
- UNWTO. (2010) .Tourism and Poverty Alleviation. Retrieved from http://step.unwto.org/content /tourism-and-poverty-alleviation-1.